Down a stretch off of Highway 61 in Jefferson County, Mississippi lies the little town of Lorman. Originally settled in the early 1800s and known by a variety of names, it was only in 1884 that the town was formally platted and named Hays City after Charlotte Hays the original landowner. As there was already a postal stop in the state with the same name, the town was renamed to Lorman in 1899 for Hays’ daughter Mary Lorman Hays.
Although most have not heard of this little town, it’s the Old Country Store that is known far and wide. The building itself was a general store built upon land which was originally part of the local plantation. Established in 1875, this place was a popular stop for the community to buy everything under the sun. Worn, creaky floors and shelves piled high with signs of days gone by lend to the rustic, southern charm of the Old Country Store.
Today it’s Arthur Davis’, aka Mr. D’s famous fried chicken that brings people by the masses to Lorman.
Location: Lorman, Mississippi
Photograph Date: 1995
Medium: Pigment Print on Cold Press